Monday, May 30, 2011

Musing Monday #4

Musing Monday is hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading and here's our question for today:

Describe the last time you were stumped for something to read, and you took measures to remedy that — either by going to the bookstore, the library, or shopping elsewhere. What book did you choose? Did it get you out of your slump?

Well, I can't really remember anything in particular. I've always just been one to order a bunch of books, or pick up a few books from the library, and go from there. I'm sure I've been in a slump at some point. There's only one point I can think of where my reading changed a little bit.

A couple years ago, I didn't have much free time to read. I had a lot of responsibility and work to do and I was in a serious relationship. When the relationship was reaching it's end (it was going from good to bad fast at that point), that's when I picked up Twilight at the library. The movie was being advertised EVERY DAY at that point since it was getting released on DVD. I had been sort of irritated with it all at the time--I mean, everyone was just OBSESSED with it. The book was everywhere, the movie was everywhere, the actors were everywhere. There was only one thing I loved about it...

"Decode" by Paramore.

I loved that song. I adored that song. I was OBSESSED with that song. Of course, the only way to get it on CD was to buy the soundtrack to the Twilight movie. That annoyed me. But then, I couldn't help but want to know what the fuss was all about. So I picked up the book. Started reading the book. Couldn't put it down. I was staying up until, you guessed it, one in the morning to keep reading. And I had to get up early on the next day every night I did that. When I finished it, I wanted to see the movie. Then I wanted to read the other books. Before I knew it, I was getting into paranormal romance.

So there's my story. Not so much a slump per se... but just a moment where my genre's expanded and opened up a whole new world of books.

~Jessica

4 comments:

  1. I personally can't stand the Twilight books but I can relate to giving in to the pressure and begrudgingly admitting you loved it. I felt that way about To Kill a Mocking Bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just being around books works but then it doesn't. Contradiction???

    Here is my Monday: Mailbox/What Are You Reading?/Musings post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with Twilight. I only really liked the first book. Sometimes that's how it works with sequels. I still need to finish To Kill A Mockingbird. I started it when I was younger, but never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start reading Twilight for my MA thesis research. I'm a little bit ashamed to say I've not read it yet. Everyone seems to enjoy it so much.

    Stopping in to say hello for Musing Monday and am a new follower. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!