What, if any, kind of music do you listen to when you’re reading? (Given a choice, of course!)
Sometimes I need to focus and music will distract me, but sometimes I do listen to music. My latest batch of music comes from a playlist I created a month ago and have been periodically adding to. Here's a list of what I remember:
"Reminiscing" by Little River Band
"Back In Time" by Huey Lewis and the News
"Stripper" by SohoDolls (thanks a lot Gossip Girl)
"With Me" by Sum 41 (again, thanks Gossip Girl)
"Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven
"Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional (thanks a lot Scrubs)
"Take Me Home" by The After Midnight Project
"Same Problem" by Waking Ashland
"Somebody Told Me" by The Killers
Basically my music can range from my favorite oldies, my new-found love of the 80's, various random pop music, and alternative/hard rock. I tend to listen to the same songs over and over again. Once I've overplayed them, just insert Billy Joel, Paramore, and Three Days Grace in that mix instead.
Welcome to Update Thursday, my own personal meme (but feel free to use it if you'd like) that I started to keep track of everything going on in my book blogging/writing/own world. Basically, I list off a few different things that have happened in the last week.
1. I have this cart filled up on Amazon... and I'm leaving it there until at least next week. I wanted to just pay for it right now, because I am so anxious to continue on Gossip Girl. BUT. I must focus. Focus on reading and writing. I'm being good. For now.
2. I'll be co-hosting the What's Your Status? meme from Zakiya at Butterfly Feet Walking On Life on Saturday. Two more days! Don't miss it. ^_^
3. I'm planning on working on my 100 Followers Giveaway today. I have the basics set out in my mind, but I need to get a form started for this purpose, and... I've never done something like that before. So I'm hoping it's not too hard. I've gotta find another giveaway going on and get the form format. Once I've got that, I'm good to go. Expect the start to the Giveaway on Sunday the 26th of June.
4. After reading so much of the Jessica Darling novels in a short time (the first two: Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings), I couldn't help but want to really start writing without inhibition. She's so up front and blunt about everything and everyone. That's how my mind is... but not my writing. I need that in my writing. So I started to write like that in my personal journal, and it has helped!
5. I'm heading out in a minute to go to a friend's garage sale in town. It started to rain earlier, so I had to postpone my walk down. Me + Rain = I'll probably get sick. So, now I have to get dressed and get going because I told her I'd be there!
Wannabe Writers is an Internet writing group hosted by Sarah at Confessions Of The Unpublished. Anyone is welcome to join. It's a place to meet other writers, ask questions, and get feedback. Basically, you post about your current writing progress, problems, and she asks a question she needs help answering. Go check it out!
Where I am in the writing process: 11449 words! Woot! Breaking the 10,000 mark just made my week. It's the furthest I've gotten on a story, ever.
My current problem(s): Everything. Lol, not literally. I get going on a scene or two that's further ahead, then I can't get focused on the current one. Which, the current one may need to be adjusted considering this. I think I need an old calendar to write out the basics of my story. I started to do that just on paper, but it didn't help. I kept scribbling things out. Plus I haven't done any writing the last couple nights. Tried to last night, but basically just added one sentence into the bulk story, then edited and added a few more detailed lines to a scene I wrote out. I come up with these ideas, and they just don't mesh with the story or the main character's personality well.
My question(s) this week: How do you make time? Before I go to bed is when I try to write. On my days off I'll just go into my room and write. It doesn't always work out as planned of course. There are days when I don't write at all even though I plan on it when I wake up. If I know I don't have any ideas or dialogues or scenes in my head to continue on, I won't write. Like, how I didn't accomplish much last night, it was almost pointless to try. How I even get the time to write is basically by cutting out unnecessary things, like being online as much. Or not watching a TV on DVD marathon. That's the only way I get anything done.