Monday, September 10, 2012

Music Monday #2 - "Root Beer Rag" by Billy Joel


Music Monday is a new feature over at Ramblings of a Daydreamer where we can talk about music. It can be any sort of music thing on your mind--a song or an artist or music you're listening to while reading or writing or anything else music related. Have fun with it! Just link back to Marie so others can join in. ^_^

I've always got music on my mind, so I'll probably be sharing whatever song has been stuck in my head recently. There's always a song stuck in my head. Enjoy!

~*~

Song of the Moment:
"Root Beer Rag" by Billy Joel

You may have been able to see from my 'about me' section that one of my favorite musical artists is Billy Joel. But you probably don't know the whole story. My love for Billy Joel spans the course of my whole life, but especially when I was sixteen. I kinda sorta became OBSESSED with him for the next year and a half. I got my hands on every album on CD, several LP's and 45's, the list goes on. I still own all of it. I may not be obsessed anymore, but I still have a soft spot for his music. The other day, I put on a concert DVD of his to listen to while writing. Um... can you say Jessica got distracted? Because I did! I kept looking over to watch certain parts and piano solos.

Note to self: Don't put on Billy Joel in concert while writing.

BUT I DIGRESS...

The following is an instrumental song he composed called "Root Beer Rag". This video contains him playing it LIVE, so you can see what an amazing talent he is on piano. Every time I watch it, I want to learn how to play this song.

ENJOY!


~*~




So what kind of music is on your mind this week? ^_^

~Jessica

6 comments:

  1. I haven't even heard of this one. I find it highly amusing that you were so obsessed with Billy Joel, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was originally on one of his lesser known early albums. Lol, you're so right, it is amusing. I am a *little* bit strange. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is one jazzy song! I'm actually not too familiar with his music...I KNOW it of course, but I don't know if I could tell you the names of any of his songs off the top of my head (I'm bad with song titles). The other day I had the radio on in the kitchen while I was making dinner and this song I've always loved was on and at the end the DJ said it was by Billy Joel and I was like 'what?!' and even my mum was surprised it was him. Of course now I can't remember the name of it or even how it went lol. If I'm in a procrastinating mood later on I'll scour YouTube for it haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is jazzy! There are so many good ones by him, classic ones. Oh! And since we were just talking about musicals, there is one they did of his music called Movin' Out. It was only on Broadway, never recorded. I wish I could've seen it. I'm sure you'll figure out which one it was--I can't wait to see! ;)

      Delete
    2. That's so cool! I love when musicals/plays/movies are made based on a musician's work. That's why I love Across the Universe - I'm not a huge Beatles fan (I like them but I don't think they're the best band ever like a lot of people do), but I LOVE the movie and the songs. I have the soundtrack and I'd actually listen to it before an actual Beatles album. Same with Mamma Mia, although I actually am a huge Abba fan.

      Delete
    3. I still need to see Across the Universe and Mamma Mia too! I need to write out a list of all these movies now. I am so behind on movies! :P

      Delete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!