Friday, September 21, 2012

Question of the Moment: What do you think of books written in verse? (7)


I started writing poetry in my early teens. I have continued to do so down to today. Not only did I love to write it, I also loved to read it. Of course, until more recently, I hadn’t read much in my life, but I did enjoy everything I did read.

Then I discovered there are books written in verse. I was beyond ecstatic. I never imagined anything like it was available. After reading a few of them, I got so excited about trying to do it myself with one of my old story ideas. It didn’t go so well. Writing a book in verse takes a lot of thought to the choice of words and placement of them. What came out for me was more like second grade rhyming poetry. I’m hoping someday to write at least a short story in verse. Until then, I’ll just sit back and enjoy great books written in verse.

Have you ever read books written in verse? What did you think of them? What are your favorites? Have you ever written a book in verse or wanted to? Tell me all about it!

For those who haven’t had the chance to read a book written in verse, here’s a short list of YA authors that write in verse, and some specific books to check out sometime to try one. Also, check out this list of Novels In Verse on Goodreads.

Authors:

Books:
~ Defy the Stars by Stephanie Parent
~ Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay
~ Jinx by Margaret Wild
~ Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams


~Jessica

10 comments:

  1. I've only read one book in verse, which was Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill, but I liked it and am pretty excited about finding a new genre to read. I bought I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Shroeder but haven't read it yet. I've also put Crank by Ellen Hopkins on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a different one by Stephanie Hemphill, but I did read I Heart You, You Haunt Me and that one was great. So is Crank. It is a great genre, I'm excited to see more people getting into it. :D

      Delete
  2. I've never read a book written in verse before. Can't say that I'm aware of why they're like. All I can imagine is that it's made up of a lot of poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. ^_^ They read like any other book, only more poetic, tapping more into the emotions and a little bit more descriptive. :)

      Delete
  3. I love verse novels. I'd never considered writing one, though....I wonder why not. I'd probably discover, like you, that it's way too hard for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to try again, but I have a feeling I'll just be staring at a screen for hours over one poem, LOL. ;)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love books written in verse! I love the cadence and it seems that my heart almost takes on the rhythm of the writing. As far as writing it myself, I don't think it would be my cup of tea, it would be difficult to get your mind and creativity to work along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you put that--it's exactly how it feels! :D I think you're right about writing it too, it's not an easy process to combine both.

      Delete
  5. I love books in verse so much I have dedicated a whole blog to them, versenovels.com. I also wrote one, which will be published by Orca Books next fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool. I'll have to check that site out, and your book too. I love to see new books written in verse. :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!