Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Review: Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under The Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published: January 3rd 2012
Source: Purchased
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


~synopsis from Goodreads

My Thoughts:

I’ve heard amazing things about this book over and over and over again. When you hear amazing things, you can’t stop yourself from wanting to see it for yourself. So I had to snag a copy of this book. This story was a little different than I anticipated from the descriptions and reviews I read. But, not different in a bad way. It’s more like, I didn’t expect the story to be the way it was, the way it happened and developed.

The characters, all of them, have amazing depth. I liked being able to see from both Aria and Peregrine’s point of view. You could see and understand what it is like on each side of the spectrum--those on the outside versus the ones on the inside. The way the two of them interacted with each other was just priceless. At first they want nothing to do with each other, then they discover that the opposite is the truth. The love story was brilliantly handled. There was this intimacy between them where a touch was unwelcome and desired at the same time. Other characters, like Talon and Roar, were such great people. So much to say, so little time!

What I found most interesting was the paranormal aspect with people on the outside. I didn’t expect that to be the case in what I thought was a dystopian novel. But it was a very intriguing addition to the premise. There was so much to glean when it came to the different types of people, not just with the paranormal aspects, but also different outsiders that exist. Not only that, but the action was powerful and emotionally charged. Being outside of the Realms is seriously dangerous in many ways, but you know that being inside isn’t as safe as they claim either.

Under The Never Sky was amazing. Aria and Perry are in the top ten best literary couples of all time. There was something about them that just drew you in and you never wanted to look back. The action and the suspense and the people you meet… it was just perfect. Veronica Rossi has seriously impressed me. And now I need to read not only the next book in this series, but also the novella.

My Rating:


6 comments:

  1. JESSICA. I didn't recall you hadn't read this one already. I'm super happy you enjoyed it. Can I just say...ROAR. Oh, Roar. I want him. Can I have him?

    Okay, on to your review. Yeah, this book really was different and unique! And like you, I also enjoyed the dual POV - whereas sometimes it flops in books, in this one, it worked, and gave us great insight into each character. I'm over the moon about this series - I feel like Aria and Perry are one of THE best romances in YA literature.

    Glad you're on board with the series. Now read ROAR AND LIV - the novella?!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, right? I really should have read it awhile ago. It just got put on the back burner with all these other books that came first. I am glad I finally got to it though. :D

      Yes, you may have Roar. ;) And YES, I must get my hands on the novella soon. I'm hoping in the next couple months to splurge on it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this one! You know how when you love a book and you want your friends to love it too? That was me, hoping and praying you'd love it as much as I did lol.

    Aria and Perry are just amazing together. I loved their romance so much, and I LOVE ROAR TOO, so Molli will have to share. :-p lol There's just so many layers to the story - friendship, romance, action, danger, mystery, suspense. Love it, and love your review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I feel the same way about certain books. :)

      Yes! So many layers, so much going on. And you can't help but become attached to everyone involved in the story, and even a little bit to the bad guys, but not necessarily attached as much as extraordinarily frustrated with them. Lol.

      Delete
  3. I've only read the sample of this one and I must say it really pulls you in right away. That first scene is just exceptional. I'll def have to give this one a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, it totally pulls you in. It's one of those great books that won't lose its appeal ever. :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!