Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story by Sonya Sones

Title: To Be Perfectly Honest
Author: Sonya Sones
Published: August 27th 2013
Source: Library
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers
Her friends
have a joke about her:
How can you tell if Colette is lying?

Her mouth is open.


Fifteen-year-old Colette is addicted to lying. Her shrink says this is because she’s got a very bad case of Daughter-of-a-famous-movie-star Disorder—so she lies to escape out from under her mother’s massive shadow. But Colette doesn’t see it that way. She says she lies because it’s the most fun she can have with her clothes on. Not that she’s had that much fun with her clothes off. At least not yet, anyway…

When her mother drags her away from Hollywood to spend the entire summer on location in a boring little town in the middle of nowhere, Colette is less than thrilled. But then she meets a sexy biker named Connor. He’s older, gorgeous, funny, and totally into her. So what if she lies to him about her age, and about who her mother is? I mean, she has to keep her mother’s identity a secret from him. If he finds out who she really is, he’ll forget all about Colette, and start panting and drooling and asking her for her mother’s autograph. Just like everyone always does.

But what Colette doesn’t know is that Connor is keeping a secret of his own…

My Thoughts:

I really adore Sonya Sones and her books in verse. Every one that I've picked up, I have loved and own all of them. When I heard there was FINALLY going to be a new one by her, I was so stoked! You have no idea. So when I saw it on the shelf at the library, I snatched it even though I already had way too many books to read. I wanted to read this one that bad.

At first I was kinda like, "Eh? Okay..." But then when she met and started seeing more of Connor everything changed for me. I started feeling very swoony. I felt more invested in Colette and her situation and wanted her to reach a point of clarity. The seriousness of the lies made it feel like more than just a nice little story. When everything came down in the end, it wasn't what I was expecting but I was very satisfied with the moral learned.

To Be Perfectly Honest had its cute moments and funny moments. Sonya Sones had me hooked and reeled me in. The story appeared to be light and very YA on the surface but had a lot more to it in the end. I would definitely recommend this one for anyone who wants an honest and realistic YA novel.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. As you know, this was my first Sonya Sones book and I loved it. I felt more invested once Connor came along too...like the book had more of a purpose because Colette had a purpose. Glad you enjoyed it, Jess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There was something about it, I loved it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!