Monday, July 27, 2015

Mini Reviews: Club Luxe 1: The Private Room by Olivia Noble, Elevator Heat by B.D. Rowe, & Billy Joel by Fred Schruers

Title: Club Luxe 1: The Private Room
Author: Olivia Noble
Published: September 18th 2014
Source: Copy given by author for honest review
Genre: Adult Contemporary
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers
Victoria Chase is Chicago’s hottest new reporter, looking to make the scoop of the century. Rumor has it that in the bowels of the city lies a private sex club for the wealthy elite. Willing to do anything for a story, she infiltrates the club, determined to uncover this urban legend. She didn’t expect to run into him:

Malcolm Cage.

The famous billionaire bad boy is the king of Club Luxe. Every Friday night, he reigns supreme over untold sinful pleasures in his underground kingdom. His one rule? He never participates and only watches—until he sees Victoria.

She sets his body and soul on fire, and Malcolm does not plan on letting her go. Can Victoria keep it professional and get her story? Or will her heart betray her under Malcolm’s smoldering gaze?

My Thoughts:

When I got this, I knew it was going to be just the beginning of a series and had a feeling it would leave me at a cliffhanger. And it did. Which was fine with me because I actually enjoyed the ride! Victoria and Malcolm have this instant chemistry, which is pretty intense since he hasn't been involved in some time. Their passion was undeniable, the pages were sizzling. I couldn't stop reading.

Club Luxe 1: The Private Room was a great start to the series. I'm intrigued enough to find out what's next, although I'm a bit worried where it's going to lead. I have a feeling that it might end up heading into some bizarre directions, and that makes me a little reluctant to continue...but I know I will at some point because I need to find out what happens next in Olivia Noble's series.

My Rating:


~*~

Title: Elevator Heat
Author: B.D. Rowe
Published: December 17th 2013
Source: Copy given by author for honest review
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Buy: Amazon
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers
Twenty-year-old Maddie has had a crush on Colin, her studly internship supervisor, for three long months. She struggles focusing on her work, and always finds herself gazing at his wavy brown hair, his chiseled cheekbones, his kissable lips. Little does she know, however, that he has feelings for her, too.

The problem is no matter how much time they spend together in the office, neither one can ever make the first move.

That is, until they both step into the old, rickety elevator late one Friday night.

And things start to get a little steamy...


My Thoughts:

For a book that should have a decent amount of heat, it really fell flat for me. It was an interesting story line, one that could have played out with a little more intrigue. You can tell that Maddie and Colin have an attraction, I can vouch for that. The whole elevator situation though, that was just ridiculous. When it first started, I said, "Okay, here we go!" thinking I was in for some true romantic tension that would lead to something steamy. Not so much. Maddie kept freaking out and I kept shaking my head.

Also, I don't know what was going on with the way the story was told. It kept bouncing back and forth and being told from different perspectives. I honestly got lost way too many times and hoped that it would just start flowing eventually. All I know is it just ended abruptly, right when the "heat" was about to start. And for a book with the title Elevator Heat, you would expect some HEAT for crying out loud. So, I'm sorry. This just didn't keep my interest.

My Rating:


~*~

Title: Billy Joel
Author: Fred Schruers
Published: October 28th 2014
Source: Copy given by author for honest review
Genre: Biography
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers
The long-awaited, all-access biography of a music legend
In Billy Joel, acclaimed music journalist Fred Schruers draws upon more than one hundred hours of exclusive interviews with Joel to present an unprecedented look at the life, career, and legacy of the pint-sized kid from Long Island who became a rock icon.

Exhibiting unparalleled intimate knowledge, Schruers chronicles Joel’s rise to the top of the charts, from his working-class origins in Levittown and early days spent in boxing rings and sweaty clubs to his monumental success in the seventies and eighties. He also explores Joel’s creative transformation in the nineties, his dream performance with Paul McCartney at Shea Stadium in 2008, and beyond.

Along the way, Schruers reveals the stories behind all the key events and relationships—including Joel’s high-profile marriages and legal battles—that defined his path to stardom and inspired his signature songs, such as “Piano Man,” “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant,” “New York State of Mind,” and “She’s Always a Woman.” Throughout, he captures the spirit of a restless artist determined to break through by sharing, in his deeply personal lyrics, the dreams and heartbreaks of suburban American life.

Comprehensive, vibrantly written, and filled with Joel’s memories and reflections—as well as those of the family, friends, and band members who have formed his inner circle, including Christie Brinkley, Alexa Ray Joel, Jon Small, and Steve Cohen—this is the definitive account of a beloved rock star’s epic American journey.

My Thoughts:

I love Billy Joel. Like seriously love him. So getting the chance to read more about him and his life was great. There were some things I already knew, but I found out a lot of new stuff, too. Billy Joel is an exceptional person. I'm glad to have gotten the chance to read more about him from Fred Schruers.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!