Thursday, November 17, 2011

Update Thursday #33

Update Thursday #33

Welcome to Update Thursday, my own personal meme of sorts where I post an update of the goings on at my blog, with reading, with writing, and beyond. Feel free to borrow the idea from me for your own bookish musings.

~*~

Reminders...

NaNoWriMo starts on November 1st! All of November has been scheduled. The rest of my obligations for the year have been postponed until December, unless I find myself able to squeeze it in between NaNo writing. I am working out one last obligation for the month. If you need me, I will still be here, just in tiny increments. ^_^

Reading, Writing...

Books I finished this week:
~Craft & Technique (Writer's Little Instruction Book) by Paul Raymond Martin
~Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt

Books I'm reading now (and some still):

~Portal by Imogen Rose
~Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (Off The Shelf challenge)
~Inspiration & Motivation (Writer's Little Instruction Book) by Paul Raymond Martin

Off The Shelf Reading Challenge Progress Link (3 of 5 finished) ~ends 12/31/11

Reading: I decided to read through this set of 3 Writer's Little Instruction Books that I got awhile back. I read through them a little bit before, but it's so much better for me to read them now. They're full of advice and quotes on writing. I got out some of those little post it bookmark type things and started marking pages for specific quotes to help me out of my weaknesses on writing.

NaNoWriMo: I can't believe how ahead I am. I feel really good about this, although my brain feels almost like mush half the time. I've been reading about writing out of order a lot on several blogs and articles. I saw this one the other day and made sure to add the link here to share with others. It definitely helps to come back to some scenes later. I've done that a few times already and have been able to churn out something much better upon returning.

And Otherwise...

For those of us who are considering e-publishing the novels we're in the process of writing, I feel it fair to warn you of something that could bamboozle you. I was reading on J.A. Konrath's site a post about Book Country. Read it and stay informed so that you don't lose money. E-publishing may seem like a huge task, but it's really easy when you have a guide. There's plenty of information available. His site is actually very good for that. Browse through his posts.

I'm already planning for 2012! I've got a couple of reading challenges (aside from Goodreads) that I'm planning on participating in. I'll post my starter post on them pretty soon (still going through books on my shelf to see which ones I must read for them). This week is full enough already with random posts! I'll also be posting a "Plans For 2012" type post come December after NaNo is over. I'm brainstorming on things for this blog and beyond. How about you? Are you thinking ahead for 2012 yet?


Until next time...

~Jessica

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, nope, no 2012 thinking ahead for me. ;) I'm glad you're still squeezing in a bit of reading in between all that writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I think the only reason I'm thinking about it is because of the reading challenges. I'm glad to be able to read a bit too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading has trickled down to nothing this month. I can't believe you've been able to do that. Oh and thanks for the helpful website on self publishing. It's def something I'm looking into and that article is such an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only reason I've even been able to read is because I had it about a third done going into the month, plus can't really write while on break at work so I read instead. Glad the article helped you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!