Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: Serial Hottie by Kelly Oram

Title: Serial Hottie
Author: Kelly Oram
Published: July 10th 2012
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Mystery
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: May contain spoilers

Hockey-obsessed tomboy Eleanor Westley has never been the object of a guy's affection before. So when the hottest boy she's ever seen moves in across the street and starts treating her like she's the center of his universe, naturally she's going to be a little skeptical. But everything starts to make sense when girls who look just like Ellie start dying all around the city. Obviously the new guy is the killer, and of course he only likes her because he wants to slice her into tiny pieces. Right? The more Ellie gets to know Seth the more she's convinced he's a psychopathic killer. Problem is, he's the sweetest psychopathic killer she's ever met. Not to mention he's brutally hot. No matter how hard she tries, she can't help but fall for him. Will Ellie find true love, or will her summer of firsts turn out to be a summer of lasts?

My Thoughts:

When I first started reading this, I couldn't help but find it super amusing. In the first chapter, it felt reminiscent of Rear Window and I found that super intriguing. Not to mention the totally hot guy living across the street. I kept reading because of the intrigue and mystery, the gorgeous Seth, AND due to the fact that, although it's a serious situation, it is also funny how everything gets pieced together.

When it comes to the way Seth was with Ellie, I do have to admit, it was kind of a little... strangely obsessive for no apparent reason. And yet, despite that, I still found myself engrossed in the interactions between the two of them. One minute, you're like, "You two need to just kiss already!" and the next minute you're like, "Oh my god, get away from the guy!" Though, dude, it is so hard to figure out in your head how to feel about the guy. He seems nice, then creepy, then wonderful, so you're just at a loss as to whether you can trust him or not.

And the whole serial killer in town thing. Oh boy, does that take you for a spin. You're constantly bombarded with moments where it seems apparent that Seth is most likely the killer, and then you get hit with something else that completely contradicts it. And vice versa! Ellie kept going back and forth on how to feel based on the information she collects. As I was nearing the end and everything was being pieced together, I had this moment where I thought, "I know what's happening!" and then... I found out I was so wrong.

Serial Hottie is completely absorbing and hilarious at the same time. The mystery keeps you on the edge of your seat. I was beyond wrapped up in the potential romance that it became hard for my brain to be reasonable about the dangers. The sexual tension, oh yeah, definitely worth it. Kelly Oram definitely kept my attention with everything going on. I sooo need to pick up another book by her soon!

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!