Thursday, November 20, 2014

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins *spoilers*

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Published: August 14th 2010
Source: Purchased
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Buy: Amazon ~*~ Barnes & Noble
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Caution: Will contain spoilers
My name is Katniss Everdeen.
Why am I not dead?
I should be dead.


Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.

My Thoughts:

When I first started blogging, this book had just been released and there were seriously reviews of it everywhere. It was hard to avoid. Back then, I hadn't gotten into the dystopian genre yet, and I wasn't really interested in the series. So unfortunately, I read reviews with spoilers. The weird thing is, it didn't taint my reading the book this year. I knew some of what was going to happen, and I expected to not really like it...but I actually DID like it.

Seeing what happened to Katniss, essentially PTSD, was heartbreaking to me. I can't even imagine being in her shoes. And then add on Peeta's brainwashing and I'm just so angry. SO ANGRY. The rebellion itself is just intense all around. The growth Katniss has experienced throughout this whole ordeal is nothing short of amazing. Once you reach the end, you're so full of emotion it's hard to keep it contained. And I have to say, the epilogue was brilliant, bringing everything full circle and giving you something you never thought possible for them: hope.

Mockingjay was, to me, a realistic portrayal of how you would expect this world of Panem to play out. Yes, people die; yes, your heart is ripped from you. But, this trilogy wasn't meant to have everyone survive and live happily ever after. There's just too much wrong with the system for everything to happen the way you want it to. While I know a lot of people were unhappy with how it played out, I can honestly say that the end--while heartbreaking--was well written. Suzanne Collins definitely made this series go out with a bang.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!