Well, it's time to end that procrastination because I am offering a simple solution:
The Classics Reading Challenge 2012
(hosted by Jessica @ Thoughts At One In The Morning) *
We all have at least a handful of classics we would like to read and haven't read. What better way to get caught up on them than to challenge ourselves to read a few of them this coming year? There are many benefits to reading the classics. Check out this article and see how.
The classics I'm talking about include ones by such authors as William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, etc. I'm also talking about modern classics like To Kill A Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby. Here's a couple links with lists of classic novels: Wiki 100 Classic Book Collection & Greatest Novels of the 20th Century. (I had originally thought pre-1970, but there are some great classics from the 1970's as well, so they count too! So let's go with pre-1980 instead, use your own discretion.)
In this reading challenge, it's simple and easy. Pick out classic novels you have always wanted to read but haven't yet. Then read them! (An easy way to do this is to sort your Goodreads to-read shelf by date published, a few unknowns may pop up near the top, just go to the first one with a date and keep going until you reach the 1980's. This is what I did!)
You have 5 levels to choose from:
Level One: 1-3
Level Two: 4-6
Level Three: 7-9
Level Four: 10-12
Level Five: 13-15
Of course, you can read whatever number of classics you would like to. This is just a guideline if you want to have one.
Here's the details:
1. This challenge starts January 1st 2012 and ends December 31st 2012.
**Edited to add: Books can be in audiobook format and count toward this challenge as well.**
2. All books read for this challenge can be counted toward all other reading challenges.
3. All books chosen for this challenge must be books you have NEVER read or NEVER finished that were written prior to 1980.
4. Choose a level or number of books you would like to read.
5. Create a sign up post for your blog including the Classics Reading Challenge picture above and the books you would like to read (you can change your mind at any time).
6. Sign up for the challenge with the link to that post in the linky list below:
And that's about it! How about it guys? Who wants to read some of the classics we've missed out on over the years? I can't wait! I hope you join in as well.
EDIT TO ADD: Review Link Up has been posted September 1st 2012. Click THIS LINK to be directed to it to add your reviews. Thanks!!!
* As host, I reserve the right to remove you from the linky list if you are purposely going against the rules of the challenge, or if you are linking to anything that has nothing to do with this challenge. I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough to do such a thing, but I feel it necessary to note just in case. Thanks for reading!