Friday, December 7, 2012

The Classics Reading Challenge 2013 Sign Ups!


Welcome to
The Classics Reading Challenge!

The original version of this challenge involved reading classics you haven’t read. It also had different number levels to reach. I wanted to change this up based on some suggestions I’ve gotten.

Instead of having designated levels, there will be no levels. The thing I think is most important about me starting this challenge is to get out of my comfort zone and read a book a lot of people have read and enjoyed for many years. Classics are classics for a reason, and I want to take the time to read some of them. So when you sign up for this challenge, I believe that even making it a goal to read ONE classic novel in a year is a worthy and reachable goal.

Also, instead of reading only books you have not read yet, I am going to include that you may also reread one that you have already read. There are a few classics that I have loved and really would love to read again.

Bottom line... this is a just for fun challenge to break up our regular reading program with something different. <3

Rules:
  • Read at least ONE classic novel in 2013.
  • For this challenge, any book published prior to 1980 counts.
  • Books you have never read and rereads both count.
  • You do not have to pick out the book(s) you want to read yet.

If you need some suggestions on what books to read, please check out the following: Wikipedia's 100 Classic Book Collection and Greatest Novels of the 20th Century.

That's about it! I hope to have you join in with me on reading at least one classic novel in 2013. After challenging myself to reading a few this year, I have found it very rewarding. So, join in on the fun! <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




Jessica

28 comments:

  1. Cool! I was already planning on reading War and Peace...which is still kind of scaring me...so I might as well join, right? Will be back when I have a blog post to go with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining! Glad to have you aboard. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's the first time I've used inlinkz so I'm not too familiar with it. I went on to the site and it looks like it's working now. Thanks for joining! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're doing this again Jess! And I like the changes - no levels, and rereads allowed. I have at least 2 books off the top of my head I want to reread next year, so that's perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My link isn't showing either...maybe there's a delay? I'll check back tomorrow anyway!

      Delete
    2. I'm super happy to do this again. And I'm glad it works out for your plans for next year! :)

      It's working now! ;)

      Delete
  5. oohh. I am VERY exited about this! I already know what I'm going to read!! I love classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I'll have to check out your post. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful idea. Sad that I need a nudge like this to read one. I've got several ideas which one to read... maybe I'll choose more than one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need nudges now and then. I've always wanted to read more classics, it just took awhile for me to make it a priority. :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome challenge! Not too much pressure! <3
    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge...I'm going for 3. Hopefully I'll read more than that, but wanted to start out with a reasonable number.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three sounds like a great plan. :) You're welcome, glad to have you aboard!

      Delete
  9. I've already got Classics on deck for 2013--so I'm definitely in. Credit goes to Kristin at Always With a Book for highlighting your challenge and bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to reread some favorites and see how time has changed my perceptions - hopefully this challenge will make me finally get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finished my first one - not a reread - but my review is on my blog at http://watchingthewords.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/appointment-in-samarra/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also managed to re-read Call of the Wild! I read it out loud to my kids - I had forgotten how violent it was!

      Delete
  12. What a great challenge! I'm definitely going to join because I have a few (mostly Jane Austen) books that I've been wanting to read.. but just haven't.

    Just started following you as well. Hope you'll come check out my page (:

    Pagesofcomfort.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Wrap-up post! http://watchingthewords.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/2013-challenge-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!