Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Change is Inevitable

"Change is inevitable."

You hear it all the time: Life is change; Everything changes; Change is inevitable.

It's true.


This is something I've always known, and have experienced on a number of occasions. However, there are certain things in life that you don't anticipate and can throw you.

Over the years I've been struck by sudden changes that have been frustrating, shocking, and downright devastating. Sometimes you think you know what's what, but you discover you were wrong.

It's something I've been having to come to terms with since the new year started. The things I thought I knew, the things I believed were true... well, I might've been wrong the whole time.

This could be a bad thing, and sometimes there is a negative connotation attached to the change. However, I've been noticing that these changes, even if they have a slight sting, can be a good thing in the long run.

How can a change that on the surface feels negative end up being good?


Take for example, friendships. I've felt the pain of losing close friends over the years. Sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's theirs, sometimes we're both to blame, and sometimes you just drift apart because you're growing in different directions. While the hurt from that loss of a longtime friend becoming somebody you used to know, sometimes it's for the best.

I look back at friends I've lost over the years and no matter the reason for the loss, I've come to terms with it. Somehow, someway, though anger and tears, I've learned to cope. Has it been an easy journey? No. Do I still think of them from time to time? Yes, but fewer and far between as months go by.

Even if a friendship explodes in a yelling match, or ends abruptly, or distance comes between, maybe someday you hope that you can both grow enough to come back together again. I've reconnected with some people I used to be close to many years ago, people I never thought I'd talk to again. And guess what? Now that we're both older and wiser and have grown into who we were meant to be, we can have a great conversation and the air is finally cleared.

Life is all about change.


Personally, professionally, relationships, etc. Things are going to change.

Some of us may need to reevaluate our surroundings, decisions, goals, and future in general.

Some of us may have to go through ten different jobs before we find the one that works best for us.

Some of us may end up losing people we thought we would have in our lives forever.

But we'll get through it, one day at a time, because sometimes that's what we need in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting and happy reading!